A modest PEP0238 suggestion

Ville Vainio vvainio at karhu.tp.spt.fi
Tue Jul 24 05:37:48 EDT 2001

Stephen Horne <steve at lurking.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Nice and easy for the hobbyist - NOT a sane option for professional
> users who've bet their reputations on Python, and besides.

They could just keep running the old versions where necessary;
"legacy" applications don't really need new libraries or features from
the new versions, do they? I think your reputation will be just fine,
when you say that these apps need some specific version of python
installed :-).

I do think, however, that all these case-sensitivity/division changes
(if such things do happen) are done in one version, so that everything
will be broken (and can be fixed) once and for all - and everyone
would know what version to use to retain compatibility.

Let's see if I dare to C-c C-c this message, instead of the few C-x k
posts (it's funny how easy it is to get emotional with such a spooky
thing as CP4E, but change opinion in the middle of writing a
followup... bit-by-bit, after the initial shock, even
case-insensitivity starts to make sense).

--
Ville Vainio - http://www.tp.spt.fi/~vvainio - ICQ #115524762
 Wild geese have no intention to cast a reflection