Python: Database to Web Part II

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Fri Jul 6 15:12:18 EDT 2001

On 6 Jul 2001 09:20:03 -0700, Edward Wilson <web2ed at yahoo.com> wrote:
>To the Snake's Den:
>
>This is a continuation to an earlier post "Is Python Dead".  Perhaps
>my previous title was a bit loud and over the top.  In response to
>being accused a Troll, I want to say that this has been a serious plea
>for help.  I would rather eat Spam than be a Troll.
>
>[...]
>I have come to the harsh reality that 90% of the developers who use
>Python are advanced developers doing mostly scientific research.  I
>guess I am jealous that most of you get to work with Python, on a
>daily basis, while the rest of us are relegated to using slave's
>tools.
>
>Unless I go back to school, and take up academic research, I will not
>be using Python, unless I take two years off, working alone, to add
>the necessary database support which Python lacks.

Database modules for the databases you want to access exist. You seem to doubt
the quality of these tools, however. If you want a commercially supported
Python module that implements the Python DB-API, you should give Python another
try and check out the mxODBC module. It's the only module for which you can buy
commercial support, AFAIK.

>I understand that most of you geniuses can hit databases for storing your
>scientific data, however, I write applications which save peoples
>life's-public safety systems.  I can't possibly use "EXPERIMENTAL" code in my
>day to day work.  If something goes wrong with my code, I lose my job, and if
>it can be shown that I used experimental code downloaded from the Internet, I
>could be charged with criminal negligence.

Though the quality of the various database modules differ, most of them are
surely not "experimental code".

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://highqualdev.com              public key at homepage