Scripting vs. whatever, again (was Re: Long Live Python!)

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Fri Jul 13 00:45:02 EDT 2001

Quoth Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com>:
| Grant Edwards wrote:

| Just to clarify, I did not write the above.  I merely quoted it.
|
| > I interpret "scripting" as automating a series of operations
| > that would probably be done interactively by a user otherwise.
|
| Would you call a C program which implemented those same steps
| a "script" ?
|
| (I realize you would not typically use C for this, but if you did?)

If I may intrude with my own opinion - I certainly would call it
scripting, but I would not call it a script.  Alas, maybe compounding
the confusion.  Nor would a Python program that did it be likely
to qualify as a script, for me.  But Lisp would have a shot at it,
REXX, Tcl.  Python is quite capable of serving in a scripting role,
but is not by design especially targeted for that, like Tcl is.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com