sys.stdin.readlines() in 2.2a ?

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 30 08:44:37 EDT 2001

"CCLittle" <nospam at ihatespam.com> writes:

> Hi all, I'm trying to learn and master python.  I encountered an
> example in "Programming Python 2nd Edition" by Mark Lutz that used
> sys.stdin.readlines(), which does not exist in python 2.2a.

I still have it in my 2.2a1 copy on Solaris. What system are you
using?

> 1. Where did it go?

It did not go away.

> 2. What kind of problems am I going to get by doing examples written
> for 1.5.2 but on 2.2a?

Very few. I might not remember all potential problems, so I won't
attempt to list them here.

> 3. Where can I get information on this sort of changes?

Andrew Kuchling always publishes an article on new features, which
always offer advise for compatibility as well. These are

http://amk.ca/python/2.0/
http://amk.ca/python/2.1/
http://amk.ca/python/2.2/

For Python 1.6, the information is somewhat merged into the 2.0
document above. An independently-developed document is at

http://www.python.org/1.6/

For a detailed list of changes, see Misc/NEWS in the Python sources.

Regards,
Martin