Time for a Python "distribution" ? was:Not enough Python library development

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Fri Jul 6 00:34:02 EDT 2001

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Chris Barker wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>My proposal is to create a Python "Distribution" that includes a large
>collection of what are becoming standard modules, but are maintained by
>folks other than the core Python team. I'm modeling this idea on the
>Linux Distributions: the kernel developers don't make any effort to
>package up Linux as a useful system; other organizations do that. There
>are now a lot of them, and some are substantial commercial enterprises,
>but it all started with SLS and then Slackware, etc.
>
>It really wouldn't even be that much work: Each of us has already done
>it for our own systems. Put a small group together, get a web site, and
>we'd be rolling. I'm really not looking to do anything more extensive
>than the old "Python on Linux" pages, except that it wouldn't be just
>Linux, and we would try to maintain a fairly constant list of supported
>modules.

It's a good and bad idea at the same time: sometimes packages in
distribution are too tightly interconnected and it's not nice to
download too many to have only small fraction.

I think, catalog (CPyAN) idea is better...

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Friday, July 06, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/