Why Not Translate Perl to C

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Sun Jul 1 06:57:43 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.993922352.32302.python-list at python.org>,
Oleg Broytmann  <phd at phd.fep.ru> wrote:
>   Yes, but you cannot write a compiler that will translate StringIO into
>cStringIO. Python is too dynamic for this. If Python will ever get static
>typing, things will become much better and we can return to the task of
>building a compiler.

That is far too sweeping a statement.  Dynamicness makes writing good
compilers much harder, but not impossible.  Self, the JITs, Stalin, and
Bigloo stand as counterexamples.
--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess