PEP 238 (revised)

John W. Baxter jwbaxter at spamcop.com
Fri Jul 27 19:50:25 EDT 2001

In article <cpzo9q16ux.fsf at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com>, Guido van
Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> I don't know of a portable way to generate -0.0 in Python; on my Linux
> box, simply writing -0.0 does it, but not on my Windows box.

One my PowerPC machine (dual 533 running
Python 2.1 (#1, 04/22/01, 11:06:25)
[GCC Apple DevKit-based CPP 6.0alpha] on darwin1

The simple way does not make (or at least doesn't print) a negative 0.0:
>>> -0.0
0.0

But I'm suddenly unsure whether that is an issue with the display
process or the value produced by -0.0.

Nor am I smart enough after today to find out.  [Spent the day tending
a sick ethernet adaptor by installing packet filters on other
machines.]

  --John