Language change and code breaks

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 24 18:11:14 EDT 2001

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> writes:
>
> > The moment using "tools" with Python becomes an essential part of
> > creating Python programs, the language is dead to me. All of this
> > pent-up rancor of mine comes with my open contempt for Lisp environ-
> > ments which more or less simply require you to use Emacs.
>
> I think you've got that backwards.  The whole point of putting case
> insensitivity in the tools it *not* to force you to use the tool.
>
> The language would remain case-sensitive, and you would be free to use
> it that way in any tool you chose, but there would be a separate tool
> available that enforced case-preserving case-sensitivity for those who
> prefer it.

But in a previous message,

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

>> I would very much prefer a case *insensitive* language with tools
>> that enforce *uniform* case usage.
>
> And that's of course what I have in mind.

I'm confused. Are you proposing:

(1) A case *sensitive* language (that is, no change),with tools to
enforce case consistency; or

(2) A case *insensitive* language (God forbid), with tools to
enforce case consistency; or

(3) Something else?

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt GTO 2 R/S