Language Niches (long)

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sun Jul 29 22:54:25 EDT 2001

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 19:43:29 -0700, James Logajan <JamesL at Lugoj.Com> wrote:
>Grant Edwards wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 21:44:37 +0100, Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>> >In article <mailman.996429234.13926.python-list at python.org>, Paul
>> >Prescod <paulp at ActiveState.com> writes
>> >
>> >what language does one use nowadays.
>>
>> AFAIK, all Unix system programming is still done in C.  (At least
>> that's true for the Unices I'm familiar with (SCO, Solaris,
>> BSD, Linux).
>
>Do language compilers and interpreters qualify as "system programming"?

Not in the usage with which I'm familiar.  I interpret "system
programming" to mean writing code that runs in system mode (as
opposed to user mode).  In Unix, that means the kernel and
associated device drivers.  On all of the Unix systems I've
used, all system code is in C.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I want to kill
                                  at               everyone here with a cute