Most important text processing examples

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 9 09:46:26 EDT 2001

Dr. David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:
> Always so impressed by the Python discussion group, I figure I will ask
> its advice.  I have recently contracted to write a book called _Text
> Processing in Python_ for Sybex.  The proposal and outline can be
> skimmed at <http://gnosis.cx/tpip.proposal>, if you want to see what I
> am aiming at (I've made minor adjustments as I've started writing, and
> will certainly make more as I go along).

Well, even though it is for Sybex, and I've sworn never to buy a book
by Sybex (their European branch folded while still owing my wife money
for a few translations, and Sybex is mainly known to me for the
enormous amount of padding their books contain), I feel I'm going to
stick this on my to-acquire list - just like Lars Marius Garsholt XML
book, when that arrives.

I would skip chapter I, though. Those kind of chapters are a pain to
write, and mostly useless. I should like a bit of discussion of text
transformation (without XML) and of encoding issues.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org