Operator symbol for "nb_intdivide"

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Thu Jul 26 22:03:05 EDT 2001

"Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk" <qrczak at knm.org.pl> wrote in message
news:slrn.pl.9m0qbp.qk2.qrczak at qrnik.zagroda...
> Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:08:34 GMT, Peter Dobcsanyi <petrus at pobox.com>
pisze:

> > But, I don't like the "//" operator symbol what we are supposed to
> > use for implementing "a // b == floor(a/b)".
>
> Me too.
>
> > I would like to suggest to use a clearly distinguishable
> > one-character symbol for the "nb_intdivide".
>
> Here I disagree. I would preferably use div (and mod) as operators.
> The only problem with them is that someone could have used them as
> identifiers.

Whereas I pushed // as my favorite!  (among options suggested)
Guido cannot very well please all of us.

One problem (and source of errors) for div: it must be set off by
spaces which are optional for symbol.  (Yeah, I know about in, etc;
same story, not arithmetic, where habits are different)

Terry J. Reedy