Case insensitivity

Dan Bergan danb at champonline.com
Fri Jul 20 12:39:56 EDT 2001

I'm a newbie to python (and I love it!), but I've also worked a lot in C and
Visual Basic.  I've been coding a lot of VB lately, and I've really gotten
to like the fact that the IDE will automatically correct the case of the
variables.  I have found that it actually speeds up my development time a
bit.  Here is how I use it:

(Declare the variable in mixed-case)
Dim myVariable as Integer

(then I purposely type in the wrong case when I use 'myVariable')
myvaraible = 1  '<==TYPO!

If the IDE does not fix my case, I know I have made a typo.  The compiler
would have caught this eventually (I use VB's 'option explicit' to force me
to declare my variables), but it makes for faster programming to fix it
immediately.  Not a huge time saver, but I like it.  On the other hand, I
suppose I could just learn to type!  :-)

I never have had a preference between case-sensitive and case-insensitive (C
and VB), but because of my new (bad?) habit, I can foresee having some
potential bugs in python.  When I type something in a different case, it
will just give me a brand new variable.

Dan Bergan