Importing XML modules in py2exe or Installer?

Gustaf Liljegren gustafl at algonet.se
Fri Jul 13 18:57:01 EDT 2001

Have completed a fairly large project where I, among other modules, use the
Python XML package from the XML SIG. Now I want to make a DOS binary to
distribute it as a standalone application for Windows users.

Neither py2exe nor Installer is able to find the XML modules by themselves,
and I haven't been able to figure out how to include them. For example,
when running the EXE that Installer creates, I get the following message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 7, in ?
  File "E:\pyinst\support\imputil.py", line 117, in _import_hook
    return importer._finish_import(top_module, parts[1:], fromlist)
  File "E:\pyinst\support\imputil.py", line 206, in _finish_import
    bottom = self._load_tail(top, parts)
  File "E:\pyinst\support\imputil.py", line 292, in _load_tail
    m = self._import_one(m, part, fqname)
  File "E:\pyinst\support\imputil.py", line 252, in _import_one
    module = self._process_result(result, fqname)
  File "E:\pyinst\support\imputil.py", line 281, in _process_result
    exec code in module.__dict__
  File "e:\python\lib\xml\dom\minidom.py", line 21, in ?
    from xml.dom import HierarchyRequestErr
  File "E:\pyinst\support\imputil.py", line 117, in _import_hook
    return importer._finish_import(top_module, parts[1:], fromlist)
  File "E:\pyinst\support\imputil.py", line 206, in _finish_import
    bottom = self._load_tail(top, parts)
  File "E:\pyinst\support\imputil.py", line 294, in _load_tail
    raise ImportError, "No module named " + fqname
ImportError: No module named _xmlplus.dom

The XML modules reside at e:\python\_xmlplus in this computer. I have tried
the respective include options, but don't know if I do it right:

python e:\pyinst\builder.py myscript.cfg --includes e:\python\_xmlplus

Regards,

Gustaf Liljegren