PEP0238 lament

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jul 24 22:16:53 EDT 2001

mcherm at destiny.com wrote:

> One part of Arthur Siegel's posting bears repeating:
>
> > I remain convinced that the single most important
> > factor for Python's acceptance as an educational language is
> > the growth of its  acceptance as a professional language.
>
> I have opinions on integer division, case sensitivity, and
> probably on other issues where CP4E advocates seem to come
> into conflict with some "professional programmers". But I
> think I'll just keep quiet about my own opinions (which may
> NOT be what you think) and let you think a minute on Arthur's
> words.

As thinking alone is of little value to Usenet, I'll venture
to actually post my thoughts ...

I think Arthur's comment is very valid.  I continually face
questions from potential new programmers (the type wondering,
for example, if one of those one-year institute courses
in programming would be of value, or the kind in non-computing
studies who want to know the best route to learning some
programming, usually in relation to the web right now).

I think more than any other factor, the degree to which
a language is used in industry (presumably a reasonable
meaning for "professional language"?) is important to them
in their search.

(This doesn't address the issue of whether "educational
languages" have anything in particular to do with the
needs either of non-computing students or of industry...)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com