software documentation system?

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Wed Jul 18 16:54:00 EDT 2001

Graham Guttocks (graham_guttocks at yahoo.co.nz) wrote:
> A Python application of mine is now large enough that I need to get
> more serious about writing a real manual for it.  I'm looking for a
> documentation system that uses a single source file to produce both
> online information and printed output. (PS, HTML, etc.)
> Any recommendations?  I work in a UNIX environment and would prefer
> an opensource alternative.  So far I've found GNU texinfo and also
> SGMLtools which is written in Python, but am open to other
> suggestions.

It's my understanding the standard Python documents are generated from
LaTeX source. Certainly with LaTeX, you could easily generate both
printed and on-line documentation from a single source file. LaTeX comes
pre-installed on many (most?) Linux distributions. For generating on-line
stuff, look at latex2html. If you want to reproduce the look-and-feel of
the standard Python docs, you'll need customization files for latex2html
and offhand I don't know where to find them, but I'm sure somebody on
this newsgroup would know.

--
 22nd century: Esperanto, geodesic | Will Ware
 domes, hovercrafts, metric system | wware at world.std.com