FEEDBACK WANTED: Type/class unification

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jul 30 20:42:45 EDT 2001

William Tanksley wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:12:00 -0700, Sam Penrose wrote:
> >Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> >> I think 'self' would be confusing.  I'd like to propose 'cls'.
>
> >How about an English word or phrase in lieu of YATATL (yet another
> >terse acronym to learn)?
>
> Yes, please.  Does anyone have any prior art on this topic?  'self' is
> nice because it was in common use before.
[...]
> OTOH, perhaps we don't want a synonym for 'class'; perhaps we just want a
> plural version of 'self'.  'selves'?  'us'?  'our'?

Without necessarily understanding the question or its implications,
reading the first posting my subconscious came up with "us", too.
On the other hand, we use "self", not "me", so it's not conceptually
consistent.

If we're talking about a group, and "selves" doesn't seem right,
maybe "borg"?  <0.98 wink>  (make that 0.99...)