Is Python Dead?

kosh kosh at aesaeion.com
Fri Jul 6 10:55:19 EDT 2001

Kemp Randy-W18971 wrote:

> Old Chinese proverb.  It is better to light one candle then to forever
> curse the darkness.

That is one of the reasons that I use debian with apt-get. There are lots
of python libraries, documentation etc. apt-get install python-imaging
That will install the Python Imaging Library with no nead to compile etc.
You can then immediately use it.

I would prefer someting like the database that debian to track all these
products were to get bigger and more advanced so it would have more
products. This is what the LSB is trying to do now. They recommend RPM
right now however they are working on making a new package format that
should be better then both RPM and DEB when done. Then the whole thing can
be tied together with a nicer database system then apt is right now.

This way each project doesn't have to create something like CPAN. That
seems like just reinventing the wheel over and over again. This would make
it a system wide feature and programs should then plugin to it.

Maybe if windows people were interested they could port it to windows also.