A use for integer quotients

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sat Jul 28 01:35:15 EDT 2001

In article <7ikoltclv5sjr376ua6m1jlk3a9l1qftju at 4ax.com>,
Steve Horne  <sh at ttsoftware.co.uk> wrote:

>Fixed point arithmetic emulated by using integers with a scale factor,
>though, works very nicely. Better still when there's a language
>feature to do this automatically, but if we added fixed point types to
>Python we'd need *another* division operator - four so far including
>the rational one ;-)

That only applies when using auto-coercion, though, which I'd recommend
against for this.  (Which reminds me: I need to remove the auto-coercion
code from Decimal.py; these threads have convinced me of the Evil of
auto-coercion.)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

Fortune cookie: Watch your relations with other people carefully, be reserved.