Make an *.EXE Using Python.

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Mon Jul 23 14:38:49 EDT 2001

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 08:34:55 +0000, Horst Eyermann wrote:
>In article <oAI17.647550$166.13393459 at news1.rdc1.bc.home.com>,
>	"EricIDLE" <grayson-wilson at home.com> writes:
>> Hello,
>> I was wondering is there a way to make a exe using Python?
>> I seem to remeber vagely that there was a "Make EXE" choice under the file
>> menu but its no longer there (If it ever was) so if you can give me a hand
>> with this it would be great.
>
>Hello,
>
>somewhat related, I always wondered if it is possible to
>crosscompile an application?
>
>I am under linux, and would like to distribute for other OS's as well
>(esp. Windows)
>
>Is this possible at all, or would I have to reboot to Windows, and use
>the (free) Borland compiler, ...?

I have never actually done this (though I will something like this soon), but
it should be possible to do this by telling the Makefile generated by freeze to
use a mingw32 cross compiler. (more Makefile tweaks will sure be needed).

Also be sure to have all extension modules you'll ever need built statically
into the Python interpreter or at least have them available as static libraries
as well.

IOW, it should be possible, but it's sure not easy. Heck, it isn't even easy to
freeze native Linux executables.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://highqualdev.com              public key at homepage