Most efficient solution?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Mon Jul 16 23:59:10 EDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Peter Hansen wrote:

>> Peter: I believe the politically correct mantra is "one obvious way
>> to do it".
>
>Yeah, I was reminded of that in reading
>http://www.amk.ca/python/writing/python-dev.html
>shortly after I posted.   :(
>
> """13. There should be one -- and preferably only one -- obvious
>    way to do it. """

... given your knowledge and experience.

For example, filling list with numbers could be done
in several ways:

Beginner in Python, who writes in a "language independent" style,
ex-Pascalist:

lst = [0] * 20  # init list
for i in range(1, 21):
  lst[i-1] = i

Same by ex-C:

lst = [0] * 20  # init list
for i in range(0, 20):
  lst[i] = i+1

Beginner in Python who know about lists:

lst = []
for i in range(20):
  lst.append(i+1)

Experienced Python user favor list comprehemsions:

lst = [i+1 for i in range(20)]

Python guru, which keeps it simple because he is very stupid ;-):

lst = range(1, 21)

Where Zen applies here?
;-)

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Tuesday, July 17, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/