PEP0238 lament

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Jul 23 12:38:02 EDT 2001

Jim Abrams wrote:

> Because every camel has its straw, I need to agree here. I, and most
> of my python buddies, fight with bloodstained teeth and nails to get
> python in our projects and developments. I can't see winning too many
> arguments when my opposition can pull out 'the division operator' to
> shoot me down. I can't see budgeting time and people to making sure
> the division operator works after an upgrade. I'd be laughed into data
> entry ;).

Indeed.  If this is implemented, it will be a black eye for Python.  Any
anti-Python advocate will be able to point at this and say, "Look,
that's why you shouldn't switch to Python.  The semantics of the builtin
operators changes from release to release."  Problem is, they will be
absolutely right.

/  \ I wonder if this grief will ever let me go
\__/ Sade
    blackgirl international / http://www.blackgirl.org/
 The Internet resource for black women.