COM: VB client, Python server: NULL result ...

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Jul 16 11:46:16 EDT 2001

[posted & mailed]

"Mark Hammond" <MarkH at ActiveState.com> wrote in message
news:3B521442.1080103 at ActiveState.com...
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
> > On three separate systems I am experiencing the same problem trying to
> > create an Python COM object from VB. The VB satetement
> >
> >     Set obj = CreateObject("Python.Dictionary")
> >
> > (or any other Python COM object) gives the dreaded error 80004005, with
the
> > message:
> >
> >     Unexpected Python Error: exceptions.SystemError: NULL result without
> > error in call_object
>

> If you are using a debug COM object, it may be a bug in win32trace.pyd -
> this has been fixed in the latest ActivePython and win32all.  Creating
> Python.Dictionary from WSH works fine for me.
>
> Mark.

Mark:

Your surmise is probably correct, as registering the object normally rather
than in debug mode everything works fine. However, I am currently running
ActivePython build 204. Is there an easy way I can retain 2.0 and yet remove
this error?

regards
 Steve
--