Network able Chess

Toby J Sargeant tjs at mail.csse.monash.edu.au
Mon Jul 16 08:58:08 EDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 05:23:34AM -0700, elecfsh wrote:
> Hey,
>   For a while I have been wanting to write a little chess game that
> can be played over a network w/ some simple chatting features. I want
> to do this in Python, but I'm a little worried about doing the
> graphics. Any suggestions as far as gamming libraries? or any standard
> libraries I may have missed? Thanks.

These might not be the droids you're looking for.

You can grab the server source for FICS (free internet chess server)
and compile it. It interfaces nicely with a number of graphical frontends,
including xboard, and it'll give you chat functionality as well as all
the normal features you'd expect in a fully fuctional chess server.

And it saves you having to write your own.

http://www.freechess.org/

ftp://ftp.freechess.org/pub/chess/Unix/FICS.1.6.2.tar.gz

There may be a {windows|mac|beos|pdp11|abacus} port, but I'm afraid that
I don't know of it.

Toby.