[Python-Dev] PEP 259: Omit printing newline after newline

Brian E Gallew geek+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 12 09:20:12 EDT 2001

I'm against this for the following reasons:
1) will break a lot of existing CGI code
2) will break a lot of rfc822 code
3) will break just about every file-massaging program I've written
(I'm a sysadmin, I massage a lot of files)
4) the behaviour of the print statement will become non-deterministic

I really like Alex's output() (or whatever you want to call it)
function and would use it in a heartbeat.  I would also be much more
interested in being able to supply a keyword argument to readlines()
that would have it strip the EOL character(s).

Just my $0.02.