PEP scepticism

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Jun 29 19:25:26 EDT 2001

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:
> "Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> writes:
>> So what do you do about the curious disconnect between supply and demand in
>> Open Source projects?  You got list comprehensions because Greg Ewing (and

> Beats me.  This is nothing new, in that interesting tasks get worked
> on, and boring ones don't.  I haven't updated the bookstore in a
> while, or tried to kick the catalog-sig into life, or released various
> bits of software sitting on my disk, because such tasks would be
> pretty boring, and I have more entertaining possibilities open to me.
> Greg Ward moved back to Montreal, and now does practically no hacking
> or writing in his spare time at all.  Unfortunately, practically
> *everyone* considers these tasks dull.

Which is why a system more or less *forcing* core developers to look
at these issues *only* for a while may be good. See my earlier post
on that. We could propose that all uneven release of Python have
no changes to the interpreter that change the language syntax/semantics.
(this is more strict than I proposed in my previous post, as I saw
Tim is actually more afraid of the 'make the semantics more coherent'
attempts than new syntactic features).

That would force the core developers to focus on:

a) bug fixes

b) optimizations to the interpreter

c) library changes

d) infrastructure improvements (catalog, etc)

for a while, until the next release comes around. Wouldn't that help?
Of course this measure could be considered rather draconian. :)

Regards,

Martijn