Indentation style...

Paul Jackson pj at sgi.com
Fri Jun 1 21:46:07 EDT 2001

|> It's interesting to note that, in the typewriter era,
|> there was no such thing as a tab *character*. In other
|> words, expand-tabs-to-spaces was the *original* method
|> of handling tabs!

I don't recall a space *character* either -- just carriage
motions, of one character size (space) or up to the next
physical tab stop (tab).  The tab key didn't invoke the space
bar mechanism, but rather just let the carriage slide freely,
pulled left by the big spring (what was it called), until it
rammed into the next pin (tab stop).
--

                          I won't rest till it's the best ...
                          Manager, Linux System Software