Python 2.0.1c1 - GPL-compatible release candidate

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Fri Jun 15 02:12:04 EDT 2001

Will Ware wrote:

> But the GPL extends its coverage not only to derived works in the obvious
> sense, but also to code which is statically linked with a GPL program.
> If my extensions are statically linked to 2.0.1, then by that criterion
> they would also be GPL-ware.

It is important to understand that Python is not under the GPL. The
Python license is no more restrictive than it has ever been. It has not
changed in any substantive way. (but then a lawyer would probably claim
that any change whatsoever is substantive)

Python's license is now *GPL-compatible*. That means that you can
distribute GPL'ed software with Python, if you want to.

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.