docstrings, invention there of

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Jun 1 20:17:33 EDT 2001

Laura Creighton <lac at cd.chalmers.se> writes:

>          I still don't know how to tell emacs that when I want out
> of a file, I want out of it immediately, usually BECAUSE there are
> buffers that are unmodified and I don't have time to waste with
> control shift underscore.

When you say out of a file do you mean out of a file or out of Emacs
entirely?

For a current buffer I normally just use C-x C-k (kill-buffer).  Yes,
it'll prompt you if your current buffer is modified, but it won't ask
about any other buffers, so it's minimal overhead to verify the
modified delete.

If you want to exit Emacs entirely, and are using C-x C-c
(save-buffers-kill-emacs, which I typically use) then yes, you will be
asked about each modified buffer in turn, since that's sort of the
point of that function :-)

But hitting RET or q at the first such prompt (use C-h or ? for help)
will skip any such remaining questions and just exit.  I find myself
doing that rarely as it's usually nice to get some visibility into
what changes I'm skipping, and it's easy enough to just keep hitting
'n'.

Or you could just go straight to C-x C-z (kill-emacs) which just exits
no questions asked.

(This is GNU Emacs 20.6 under NT, but these sequences are pretty old - I
can't speak authoritatively for XEmacs though)

--
-- David