Writing new codecs

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Sun Jun 17 08:15:54 EDT 2001

Brian Quinlan wrote:

> M.-A.Lemburg wrote:
> > Only the most important codecs will be placed into unicodeobject.c.
>
> > I think that UTF-7 would be a good candidate, since it is
> > a native Unicode encoding. UTF-32 would be another candidate.
>
> What about UTF-7, modified to be used in IMAP, as described in RFC2060
> (I could also modify it slightly for vanilla UTF-7 [RFC1642])? I ask you
> directly since you are likely going to be assigned the patch :-)

I wasn't aware of the fact that there are UTF-7 modifications
out there... for unicodeobject.c we'd need the standard one of
course; would it be possible to add the modification to the
standard codec and have it use a flag to signal which one to use ?

We could then use one code base and have two interfaces for it
in codecs.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH