tuples and lists in XML-RPC

Chui Tey teyc at bigfoot.com
Sat Jun 16 19:16:52 EDT 2001

If you know you are proxying through xmlrpc, then you can always cast  the
return value ..

   s=Server(http://..blah)
   result = tuple(s.getTupleResult())

I don't recall the xmlrpc spec saying you can't include something in the
header..., perhaps you can include hints on type casting. It's a slippery
slope. What about None, and all the unmarshallable class instances?

The best approach is to limit the functions you expose via xmlrpc to the
basic types provided. If a bridge says "max 1 tonne" I wouldn't drive a 2
tonner over it.

> Currently I only see the option of extending XML-RPC to differentiate
> Python tuples and Python lists - and beeing no longer compatible to other
> XML-RPC servers which is very bad and a therefore no-no.
>
> Do you see other options or workarounds ?
>
> Yours,
> --
> :M:
> --

-|
mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de |
> |   Raum 10b - ++49 69 798 28358        Fachbereich Informatik und
Biologie  |

-|