Python, Unicode, l8n and i18n

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Jun 16 14:04:46 EDT 2001

David LeBlanc <whisper at oz.nospamnet> writes:

> I'd like to propose (or at least enquire when/if) Unicode become the
> default character encoding for Python. By this, I mean that an otherwise
> unadorned string is implicitly Unicode, not ascii as I believe it is now.

Python currently offers the -U option, which makes all strings Unicode
strings. It turns out doing so has many problems, and I doubt ICU has
anything to offer to reduce these problems.

BTW, the "normal" Python strings are byte strings, not ASCII
strings. I.e. whatever byte sequence is in the .py file will end up in
the string.

Regards,
Martin