Building PIL 1.1.2 with Python 2.1 on HP-UX 11

Richard Townsend richard at NOstarfighterSPAM.freeuk.com
Mon Jun 18 14:20:41 EDT 2001

Having previously built PIL 1.1.2 with Python 2.0 successfully on HP-UX 11,
I have been trying to build it with Python 2.1.

Building libImaging.a worked fine and 'make check' produces the expected
result.

In the Setup file I commented out line 21 (to build a statically linked
interpreter). I also commented out lines 33 & 36 and modified lines 45 & 46
suitably for Tk & X.

When I ran 'make -f Makefile.pre.in boot' it created a Makefile with
references to 'PY_CFLAGS' which is not defined. I added a line to
Makefile.pre.in:
PY_CFLAGS= $(CFLAGS) and then the generated Makefile worked OK when I used
the 'make python' command.

I copied PIL.pth and the PIL directory to site_packages and set PYTHONPATH.

I can now fire up the new interpreter OK. Importing standard modules such as
os, sys & Tkinter is fine. However when I "import Image" the interpreter
core dumps. [The same thing happens if I try to import Pmw (which is also in
site_packages)].

If I fire up the original Python 2.1 interpreter, I can successfully import
Pmw and Image without getting a core dump. (Obviously I can't import
_imaging with that interpreter).

If I don't comment out line 21 in Setup and then attempt to build a
dynamically linked interpreter, it fails at link time with an error message
about lib.a being truncated.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this problem?

regards
Richard Townsend