Re. PythonCard - was Re: Event-driven GUIs ...

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Thu Jun 21 18:27:35 EDT 2001

Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:27:49 GMT in <3B2EACF5.1D10252D at earthlink.net>,
Ron Stephens <rdsteph at earthlink.net> spake:
> Anyway, by my count 7 people have expressed some sort of interest in a
> HyperCard-like gui creator, since it was first mentioned yesterday by Roman
> Suzi...
> Roman Suzi > Heil Hodgson > Jerry Spicklemire > Kevin Altis > Chris Barker
> Phil Hunt > and myself...

  I'm quite interested, too.  Even simple as it is, Tkinter still
requires a lot of "manual wiring".  It should be possible to design
something simpler.

  Even just dropping GUI bits into place, binding some primitives like
"switch to card X" and "call Python method Y" to each, would be nifty.

  I have some notes and a bit of prototyping for a web-based
hypercardish project, with a "GUI builder" that makes spec-compliant
HTML, a server-side application to respond to events, and a database to
store information persistently.  Unfortunately, it's in Java, I do that
enough at work that I don't want to do it for fun, and there's already
Zope and a few others sort of covering that space.

  A Pythoncard would be a nice substitute project.

"I will tell you things that will make you laugh and uncomfortable and really
fucking angry and that no one else is telling you.  What I won't do is bullshit
you.  I'm here for the same thing you are.  The Truth." -Transmetropolitan #39