docstrings, invention there of

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Jun 1 19:03:39 EDT 2001

Laura Creighton <lac at cd.chalmers.se> wrote:
[snip]
> I was working for Sun when Gosling was making Oak which became Java.  (I
> think.  They were in a different building and I wasn't quite sure what
> they were doing at the time ... so maybe this was _before_ Oak was
> being made.)  <I just checked.  before 1990 so before Oak.>
> I do not think that I showed him Genesis directly, but we were in the same
> community at the same time --- and even if I left Sun before Genesis
> got docstrings, I pretty well infected everybody I knew about Genesis
> as soon as I found out about it, and the number of people Gosling and
> I have in common fit comfortably in a large football stadium.

Ah, so *that's* why Java is that much like LPC! I mean, it's an
object oriented language with a C syntax, though of course LPC is mostly
dynamically typed (with type checking hacked on sometimes), while Java
is statically typed. I always wondered whether there was some
connection.

Oh, by the way, I've seen you posting here a lot and I Know Who You Are.
That is, I know you through Jacob, who has visited us in Angalon on
occasion for years. Send him regards from Maguest and he'll know. Nice to meet
you; I've heard much about you and I am impressed!

And log onto Angalon sometime if you want to chat. I already tried to
get Jacob to get you there, and the same day I discovered you were
posting here, so why not extend the invitation myself.

Oh, yeah, for everybody who is wondering, this is a coded PSU message.
It doesn't mean anything. It's not a personal note or anything. :)

Regards,

Martijn