Using python interpreter over a network

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 14:38:11 EDT 2001

In article <e8f1f186.0106280118.31597c6f at posting.google.com>, pj
<pjdurai at hotmail.com> writes
>Greetings.
>
>I am trying to run a python script in a networked windows NT
>workstation. Python is not installed in this box.
>
>I have mapped another machine's (my win2k box) python (2.1)
>installation to the PATH of this NT box.
>
>I have set PYTHONHOME to Q:\Python   while Q: is  mapped to
>\\my_nt_box\cdrive. I also have Q:\winnt\system32 in the current path
>(for python dll).
>
>Python seems to work under the circumstances. I can run the
>interpreter and do simple stuff.  But when I try to import some
>modules, it says it cant find those. 'win32net' for example.  I am not
>sure how to make it aware of the fact that everything is under
>q:\python.
>
>Is it a requirement that python should be installed in the local
>machine? Or is there something (Env variable ? Registry ?) I can tweak
>to make this work.
>
>Appreciate your time.
>
>cheers
>pj
try doing

import sys

sys.path

on my home box this looks like
['', 'c:\\python\\pythonwin', 'c:\\python\\win32',
'c:\\python\\win32\\lib', 'c:\\python', 'c:\\python\\dlls',
'c:\\python\\lib', 'c:\\python\\lib\\plat-win', 'c:\\python\\lib\\lib-
tk', 'c:\\python\\numeric', 'c:\\python\\rgbx', 'c:\\python\\devel\\vide
ocapture\\python21']

(folded lines aside) and perhaps your python does the same. If that is
so, you need to do a conversion and replace the c: with q: for your
scripts to run.
--
Robin Becker