[Python-iterators] RE: Meta: PEP discussion (was Re: PEP 255: Simple Generators)

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Thu Jun 21 17:46:53 EDT 2001

Steven D. Majewski wrote:

> My 'suspend value' actually got transformed into returning the
> tuple
>  (value, suspended-frame), so to use it in a loop required
>  something
> like:
>
>  iterf  = function  # don't mung up the global name
>  while 1:
>   value, iterf = iterf( args... )
>   ...	# first time, call the function
>    # all others, call the suspended activation frame

Actually, that's almost exactly what a lot of my Stackless
code looks like. While not exactly pretty, it has the advantage
that you can return/suspend/yield (value, None) to signal
you're done. I acquired the habit way back when Stackless
had a leak in the presence of exceptions crossing
continuation boundaries, but grew to like it.

- Gordon