[Python-Dev] PEP 259: Omit printing newline after newline

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Jun 11 23:56:59 EDT 2001

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at lemburg.com> wrote in ...
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >
> > Please comment on the following.   ...
> >
> > PEP: 259
> > Title: Omit printing newline after newline
[ ... ]

> Wouldn't it make sense to only use this technique in inter-
> active mode ?

Blerch! I'm agin differences between the behavior of the interpreter
interactively and non-interactively. Reminds me of various Unixoid filters
whose code is full of "am I reading from a pipe" questions. Also, since
interactive mode is so useful for development of code which then gets
grafted into programs it would be confusing to have different behaviors in
two modes. Or am I missing the point?

regards
 Steve