Controlling CDR drives using Python in Windows

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Sun Jun 3 15:24:37 EDT 2001

At 06:01 03/06/01 +0200, Gerhard Häring wrote:
>On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 22:04:03 -0300, Carlos Ribeiro wrote:
> >I'm looking for information on how to control a CDR drive from Windows,
> >using Python scripts, of course. I'm planning to automate my home backups
> >using Python scripts. If someone has any information on how to make it
> >work, I'll be glad to know.
>
>If you want to burn CDR on Windows, I think your best bet is to try to get the
>command line tools cdrecord, mkisofs and friends to compile on Windows.

That's not exactly what I want. There should be some way to directly
control the CDR API. I've read some of the documentation, and it seems that
the process of CDR writing is indeed very complex. It seems that it depends
on the particular CDR driver interface, although an ASPI layer is available
from most manufacturers. Anyway, I think that some 'generic', public API
must be available somewhere. Encapsulating such API in Python must be
relatively easy using SWIG or something similar.

Anyway, I'll take a look at the projects you just cited. It can help,
particularly on learning how to build the filesystem, and how to control
the CDR driver (this may be completely different in Windows).

Carlos Ribeiro