Has anyone used UML?

Michael Davis michael at damaru.com
Mon Jun 4 10:46:34 EDT 2001

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> + Tim Churches <tchur at optushome.com.au>:
>
> | No experience (I am in a similar situation to you wrt UML), just
> | some advice: don't buy the O'Reilly book 'UML in a Nutshell' - it is
> | the only O'Reilly title I have encountered which is truly woeful
> | (most are quite good).
>
> Hmm.  Has it occured to you that this might be a reflection on UML
> rather than on the book per se?

Personally, I like UML and dislike the Nutshell book. But I worked with
a colleague for a few years who hated UML.

He hated it because some of the symbols seem arbitrary and meaningless,
and hard to remember.

I don't mind that so much, but when I try to remember whether a closed
diamond on the end of an association line means "contains by reference"
or "object containment", I can't easily find the answer in the Nutshell
book.

It lacks a quick guide to the notation, which is a serious flaw.

The 'Distilled' book is okay. I haven't yet come across a truly great
book on UML yet.

Regards,

--
Michael Davis