Help installing pygtk, libglade in Windows - please

Cédric Gustin gustin at pcpm.ucl.ac.be
Thu Jun 21 02:40:15 EDT 2001

Hi,

> I'm trying to install pygtk and libglade on a Win9x system.  The local
> Windows guy advises me that it is necessary to edit the Windows registry
> to install DLLs.  Is this truly the case with the DLLs associated with
> these?

Why do you want to edit the registry ? Simply copy the py files from Hans
Breuer pygtk for win32 distribution (http://www.hans.breuer.org/ports/) to
%PYTHONPREFIX%\Lib(where %PYTHONPREFIX% is the Python installation
directory, let's say C:\Python21), and the *pyd files to
%PYTHONPREFIX%\DLLs. Remember that there is no site-packages directory in
the python win32 distribution !

You'll also need the gtk+ for win32 dlls as available on
http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html. You can either choose to
download the gimp installer that will copy the required dlls to your windows
system directory, or to select the developer packages (at least glib,gtk+
and libiconv), unzip them and add the target directory (that contains the
DLLs) to your %PATH%.

If you want to work with pygtk without libglade support on python 2.0, Hans
Breuer's port is fine. But because I really needed libglade to port my pygtk
application on win32, I recently recompiled pygtk-0.6.4 for python 2.1,
including _libglade.pyd, using mingw32. If you're interested, I can send you
the DLLs.

Cedric Gustin