Writing new codecs

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Jun 17 04:37:50 EDT 2001

> > I hope not. New codecs should certainly use their own modules, which
> > still leaves the question whether these should be C or Python modules.
>
> That would be a bit odd too, I think. The number of C modules in Python
> could really blow up.

Please have a look at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/python-codecs. There are a few
additional codecs, and none of them extends _codecs. Each of the
modules provides a set of codecs, not a single one.

Personally, I think on systems that offer iconv, the iconv codec
should be the only one you'd ever need - although the UTF-7 converter
is supported in gconv only starting with glibc 2.2.

Regards,
Martin