tummy compile Mandrake 7.2

Joal Heagney s713221 at student.gu.edu.au
Thu Jun 14 16:47:05 EDT 2001

> if I understand- say I do "rpm --rebuild prog.src.rpm"- it actually
> installs the resulting prog.rpm that it builds? Is there a way to prevent
> the final pkg install using --rebuild? Sometimes I like to examine an rpm
> before installing just to see what the potential for damage is (config
> files, libraries, locations, etc). I know I can go through the process
> you recommend, look at the spec and configure files, and then install-
> just was hoping using src.rpm would do *everything* I want *exactly* the
> way I want it to :-).

No, rpm --rebuild only re-builds the binary rpm. You have to install it.
The install step in rpm is where the package manager actually installs
to a special directory (/var/tmp/something) as if it was system root,
then the files in this directory are wrapped up into a package. There's
another option called --build which will build and install onto your
system, but it won't create a binary rpm.

> > Just passing the favour forward. And what's a.o.l.m? Another python
> > newsgroup *starts salivating*
>
> well, since you offered a pre-built LM binary, I assumed you were using
> Mandrake, no? We could really use another knowledgeable poster such as
> yourself on alt.os.linux.mandrake.
>
> peace

Yep, I'm using Mandrake. I'll have to bounce over there. Now that we
seem to be talking about rpm exclusively as compared to python, this
thread is probably more appropriate for that group anycase.
--
      Joal Heagney is: _____           _____