File Headers

Benjamin Goldberg goldbb2 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 9 00:19:43 EDT 2001

Austin wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I would like to be able to have a user specify a document and have the
> program return the files type. This cannot be determined via
> extension, however it only needs to be able to distinguish between a
> MP3 or a Zip file.
> If it's neither, then it should return something along those lines.
>
> Please e-mail me directly at newwave at acmemail.net as I have limited
> access to newsgroups. Thanks!!!

How is this a perl, vb or python question?

And if you ask to the group, we will respond to the group.

PS this data is not stored in the filesystem's header info for the file.
It is stored in the file itself.  To learn how to open and read a file,
read the documentation which you installation of <insert languagename
here> came with.  To learn how the first few bytes of zip and mp3 files
differ, try opening one of each, and printing out the bytes.

--
The longer a man is wrong, the surer he is that he's right.