Problem installing Python2.1 on RH 7.1

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Fri Jun 1 12:34:25 EDT 2001

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 03:34:20PM -0700, Hanna Joo wrote:
| Hello
|
| I've been trying to install the newest version on RH 7.1. After millions of
| dependency errors finally it is installed.
|
| Problem is, although it seems to have been installed correctly (all the
| libraries are there, files have been copied etc), I cannot find python in
| the path. I thought the -U option in rpm removed the older version -  which
| did not happen. All I can find in my path is 1.5.2.
|
| Any help will be appreciated

$ find / -name "python*" -print

will show where all the files whose name begins with python are on
your system.  I don't know where the rpms should/would have put the
binary executable.

It is possible that the binary is called python2 or python21.

There is an option to rpm (-l maybe) to list the files that a package
contains.  You could try

$ rpm -l python.rpm | less

and look to see what files it puts where.

-D