Numeric 20.0.0 and 19.0.0 crash Python 2.1

Daniel Reuter reuter at Uni-Hohenheim.DE
Tue Jun 26 04:12:15 EDT 2001

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 11:42:33AM +1000, Joal Heagney wrote:
> Chad Everett wrote:
> >
> > >Hello there,
> > >
> > >When I do the following:
> > >import Numeric
> > >Python 2.1 crashes with a segmentation fault.
> > >This is on a Debian/GNU Linux system, Python is configured --with-pymalloc
>
> Here is the problem. Read up on the "What's New" of python2.1 about
> pymalloc - basically it will crash certain third-party modules that
> haven't quite followed the API. It didn't matter for previous releases
> of python, but it matters for python2.1. Basically, if you want Numeric,
> don't use --with-pymalloc on your python build.
> As can be seen, the other poster was successful with is build, because
> he didn't use pymalloc.

Hello there,

found out about this problem after several consecutive builds with
different ./configure options and testing. Now I've build it with more
conservative settings and it works. Seems I should read a bit more
than just README and INSTALL ;-).
Thanks for your replies.
Regards,
Daniel