Help, pls: COM local server factory class

Bill Bell bill-bell at bill-bell.hamilton.on.ca
Tue Jun 19 11:24:52 EDT 2001

Mark Hammond <MarkH at ActiveState.com> wrote, in part:
> You should register your server for debugging.  eg "MyServer.py
> --debug".  Then startup Pythonwin's "Tools->Collect Remote Debugging
> Output" option.  You should then see a complete traceback pointing to
> the specific line that fails.

Thank you.

Having lent your Win32 book to a colleague I grabbed its Chapter
12 "Final Sample" code from the O'Reilly site. I launched the
Python code from within PythonWin and got "Registered:
PythonDemos.Parent (for debugging)"--which was encouraging.
Then I launched the VBA code (minus the comments since I never
use 'em) from within MS Excel and it croaked on the first line (ie,
Set ParentObj = CreateObject("PythonDemos.Parent")) with
"Unexpected Python Error: exceptions.SystemError: NULL result
without error in call_object".

Any chance that the code on the web site is somehow broken or is
this just one more embarrassment for me (in a life that has been
much too full of them already)?

Thanks for your help!