Stop/Start Service in Win2k

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Thu Jun 21 20:59:02 EDT 2001

Robin Siebler wrote:

> win32service.SERVICE_QUERY_STATUS)
> api_error: (1060, 'OpenService', 'The specified service does not exist as an
> installed service.')
>

> Could someone tell me why this happens and how to fix it?

Probably because you need to use the "service short name" rather than
the "service description".  Most UI tools display the description rather
than the shortname.  You really need to look in the registry for the
short name (HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services".

A patch to win32serviceutil that tries to locate the short name given
the long name would be gratefully accepted :)

Mark.