Event-driven GUIs, PythonWorks, Boa, wxWindows; future directions of event-driven Python?

Dave Wald res04o20 at gte.net
Mon Jun 18 01:08:18 EDT 2001

"bradclark1" <bradclark1 at msn.com> wrote in message
news:ePZ#Y669AHA.266 at cpmsnbbsa07...

> "Paul Prescod" <paulp at ActiveState.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.992809646.24580.python-list at python.org...
> > res04o20 wrote:

> > > And lastly, ActiveState has announced "Visual Python". Only problem
is,
> you
> > > gotta have MS .Net. (shudder) (Yet another implementation of Python.
> This
> > > time in C#. Another learning curve to be ultimately successful.)
> >
> > You are conflating two different things. Visual Python [1] and Python
> > .NET [2] are completely unrelated (but interoperable, of course)
> >
> > [1] http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/VisualPython/
> > [2] http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/NET/
> > --
> > Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.
> > Python Cookbook!  http://www.ActiveState.com/pythoncookbook
> >

> Am I missing something here? From what I read at the above it says for
.net.
> I didn't see anything else about it?
>
> Brad

I had to go back and read it again closely. "Visual Python" is hosted in the
Visual Studio .Net, but still uses CPython. Just requires VS.Net.
"Python.Net" is the experimental implementation of Python in C#, which also
requires .Net, for the unified run-time system, AFAIK.

Bottom line: Ya gotta have .Net either way.

So, we'll probably just set up a .Net beta machine and play with it.
Bout time we looked into it anyway... I've just been evading the subject
while "strategically re-deploying our legacy code base". ;-)

Regards,
Dave