PEP 255: Simple Generators

Neil Schemenauer nas at python.ca
Thu Jun 21 11:31:53 EDT 2001

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> Disadvantages to the PEP 255 approach:
>
>  * we'll probably want microthreads eventually; this feature will bloat
>    the language unnecessarily then.

How so?  It would still be nice to have some syntax on the
language to support generators.  If the implementation supports
continuations then implementing PEP 255 will be easy.

>  * less pythonic: once we've implemented generators this way, what about
>    simulation loops?  Do we need syntax support for those too?

I don't know what you mean by simulation loops.

> The one advantage to the PEP 255 way of doing things is that it
> looks like it might be slightly easier to implement.

Make that "much easier".  Stackless is wizard code.  Christian
did an amazing piece of work there.  Hopefully those ideas can
be integrated into mainstream Python.  Its still going to take a
lot more work though.  So far no one has stepped forward to do
it.

  Neil