PEP 260: simplify xrange()

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Jun 28 09:09:13 EDT 2001

Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de> writes:

> Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> writes:
>
> > Carel Fellinger <cfelling at iae.nl> writes:

> What was your exact query (I guess you omitted the quotes)? If I query
> for "michael hudson" (including the quotes!) your CV is the first entry
> in the result list.

Yes, without the quotes.  With the quotes I see my CV first too (which
needed updating - a fairly unlikely way of getting reminded...).

I wonder what I did for google to think I'm the most significant
Michael Hudson on the web...

> > > probably it's in a hidden field, like <author ...>
> >
> > Nope.  These are my web pages we're talking about here!  My name
> > appears on various bits of my pages (my CV, the python-dev summaries),
> > but definitely not on the page google points you to.
>
> Google also looks at text of the links pointing to a website. E.g. if
> there's a link <a href="http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/">Michael
> Hudson</a> on a website, google takes that as a hint that the page
> pointed to is about "Michael Hudson".

Yes, I presume this is what's going on.  Google's "link:" searches
don't show too many of these, so I still rate it a pretty impressive
deduction.

And what's more google use Python, so this post is clearly on topic!

Cheers,
M.

--
  I hate leaving Windows95 boxes publically accessible, so shifting
  even to NT is a blessing in some ways.  At least I can reboot them